Log in

No account? Create an account

Previous Entry | Next Entry

Bonus Points!

So I started talking to my immigration attorney today concerning my upcoming application for permanent residency in Canada. In the conversation I asked him about the status of our new child, who will be born in February. He told me that the new child will be Canadian, and may have dual citizenship (have to check with the US on that one). And - we will receive "5 bonus points" on our PR application for having a "relative in Canada".



Aug. 4th, 2005 02:38 am (UTC)
Since 1992 there's no problem with having dual US Canadian Citizenship. The US ignores your Canadian Citizenship and Canada ignores your US Citizenship.

We did the immi dance, first internal then external for a couple of years due to D's medical condition. You pay your money, do NOT smile for the camera and wait and wait.

The relative in Canada is a nice touch. Pity you don't get 10 points for twins...
Aug. 4th, 2005 04:00 am (UTC)
Yeah, that's the story we are getting. You are considered a citizen of the country you are in at the time. So, "dual citizenship", but not in the classic sense. It means I don't have to give up my US Citizenship if I choose to apply for Canadian citizenship.
Aug. 4th, 2005 04:49 am (UTC)
Absolutely correct -- but it also means that even though after the first year of residence you may not need to pay US taxes -- you will be remitting a tax return to the US for the rest of your natural born days (if you want to remain a US Citizen -- any anything else would be "a bad idea")

We have the name of a good US/Canadian tax accountant on the mainland that we use...
Aug. 4th, 2005 02:40 pm (UTC)
I'm going to need to get the name of your accountant one of these days. :)

The question I still haven't gotten answered yet is whether my new child will require a Canadian AND US Passport? Just Canadian? Just US? Since the Grandparents are in the US, we will have to travel relatively soon after the birth, and I want to have this figured out ahead of time. :)
Aug. 5th, 2005 09:19 am (UTC)
The US will want them to enter the US on a US passport, and Canada will want a Canadian passport to enter. You can leave either country on any passport you want. You can enter other countries using either passport, so far as I know, since all third-party countries consider the two citizenships equal.

My husband's a triple (with Britain), so he finds having a British passport useful -- can we say, EU privileges?

Latest Month

June 2010

Page Summary

Powered by LiveJournal.com
Designed by Tiffany Chow